[Wine] Compiling Wine with opengl support

Charles Davis cdavis at mymail.mines.edu
Sun Oct 31 12:16:47 CDT 2010

On 10/31/10 10:53 AM, James McKenzie wrote:
> On 10/31/10 9:02 AM, Charles Davis wrote:
>> On 10/31/10 9:55 AM, James McKenzie wrote:
>>> Are you on a Mac?
>> Why does that matter?
> The error message points to a missing file on the Mac and should not
> appear on a Linux based system.
It will appear if the first test fails--which it has. The second test
will always fail on OSes other than Mac OS X.
>>> This looks like a issue that needs to be resolved when running Linux on
>>> a Mac and building Wine.
>> No. That message is because Wine tries very hard to support OpenGL on
>> Mac OS X. It's harmless on other OSes. The OP's problem lies elsewhere.
> I did not want to 'assume' this.  That leads to improper directions.
But it is harmless, precisely because the detection that leads to this
message is specific to Mac OS.

> If the OP is indeed running on a Mac, we need to modify the dylib check
> so that it is bypassed when running Linux on one
That check needs to be skipped on non-Mac OS, period. It's wasteful in
that case, because it will never succeed.
>> @Peter7K: Look further in the config.log file. There must be some reason
>> Wine couldn't find/use your libGL. I'll bet it has something to do with
>> the fact that you installed Mesa on top of the nVidia driver's libGL. In
>> that case, you should probably reinstall the video driver.
>>
> I agree with a driver re-install.  it is possible that incorrect drivers
> were installed on a Linux installation on a regular PC type system.
This isn't 2005. Macs *are* PCs now. When not booting Mac OS, they even
load a BIOS layer so legacy PC software, like NTLDR (the Windows XP boot
loader) and GRUB, can run.
> did not want to recommend this until I was certain that the problem is
> not a broken system detection script.
It works for most people, so the configure script being broken isn't likely.

(By the way, it is my personal experience that the second check is
broken even on Mac OS. Personally I think we should be linking directly
OpenGL.framework instead of libGL on Mac OS if a "normal" libGL isn't
available. The libGL inside of OpenGL.framework is a special internal
library for use exclusively by OpenGL.framework. Any external use of
this library is a hack as far as I'm concerned. Client programs aren't
even supposed to know it exists!)

Chip