[Wine] Re: Installing on to Wine from disk

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Sep 3 09:16:45 CDT 2010

mike0liver wrote:
> I regret to say that, having checked I now have Wine V1.20 installed, I have run through the installation procedures as before with identical results.

Your original question was about installing from the install cd, but your post with terminal output shows you trying to run setup.exe from the desktop. Which is it--an install cd, or a setup file on your desktop? You have to cd to the actual location of setup.exe. If it's an install cd, make sure that drive is mapped in winecfg.

> "The file '/media/STARS/setup.exe' is not marked as executable. If this was downloaded or copied form an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run. For more details, read about the executable bit."

That's a known problem with Ubuntu 10.04. Search the Ubuntu forum for how to fix it.

> Is it possible to copy files into the dummy C:\ drive and try to run them from there?

That will only work with apps that don't make any registry changes or install any files outside the program directory.