[Wine] Error message

mikeferris wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Sep 3 11:33:26 CDT 2010

I just installed Wine into Ubuntu 10.4, from Ubuntu's Software Center (the installation instructions at WineHQ didn't work).  I've tried installing a couple of Windows programs from CD (a set of clip art images from Nova Development Corp, and Willmaker Plus from Intuit).  Every executable I've tried generates the following standard error message:

Archive:  /media/cdrom0/autorun.exe
[/media/cdrom0/autorun.exe]
  End-of-central-directory signature not found.  Either this file is not
  a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.  In the
  latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
  the last disk(s) of this archive.
note:  /media/cdrom0/autorun.exe may be a plain executable, not an archive
zipinfo:  cannot find zipfile directory in one of /media/cdrom0/autorun.exe or
          /media/cdrom0/autorun.exe.zip, and cannot find /media/cdrom0/autorun.exe.ZIP, period.

Am I doing something wrong?  Do I need to move the executables into another directory?  I notice that "Notepad" is the only program shown in the Wine program tree (in the GUI), and it runs fine.  But when I double click the Notepad executable from it's location in the (presumably fake) "c" drive under dot wine, the same error message as above is generated.  That seems like a clue to me, but I can't solve the mystery.  Any help would be appreciated.