[Wine] Keeping multiple wine versions

Frédéric Delanoy frederic.delanoy at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 09:25:43 CDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 12:07, alekseevic <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> dimesio wrote:
>>
>> alekseevic wrote:
>> >
>> > Actually, that isn't what I meant.
>> >
>> > I would like to execute different programs with different wine versions. For example: program1 with wine-1.2, program2 with wine-1.3.2, etc.
>> > Hope this clarified.
>>
>> It's not in the FAQ, though it probably should be. The answer is that you can't with distro packages, but you can if you build Wine yourself.  The easiest way is to not install Wine; just run it from the build directory.
>

> I'll give a try.
> Are you sure that running the compiled wine version from a user directory will find all the required libraries (if there is any required library)?

Yes, since the libraries are installed system-wide.
However, avoid running different wine versions on the same wineprefix
(especially if they are very different: different versions can assume
different registry structures, ...).

So basically:
- checkout version m and version n in different directories (say in
~/wineSourceVersion_M)
- in each of those, configure and make (*NOT* make install)
- when you want to launch a program, use sthg like
WINEPREFIX="~/.wine-versionM" ./wine foo (while in
~/wineSourceVersion_M)

Don't forget the ccache to speed up things, and read
http://wiki.winehq.org/RegressionTesting if you have compilation
problems with old wines.

Frédéric