[Wine] maybe I am an idiot...

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Wed Sep 15 11:44:23 CDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 05:58, kyosukedate <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> but I can't get Wine to work at all.
>
> I just got a mac and I want to run windows apps on it. I try to download it from this site, some of the options don't even have a download button on them, I downloaded one but I think it's for unix. It was a bunch of folders that my computer didn't know what to do with. Is there a simple layman's handbook to doing this? I tried all the links but I am getting no where.

Wine is an Unix app and getting ti to work if you are not used to
working in the OS X terminal can be quite hard...

Wine itself only hosts the source code, which you need to compile
yourself. Some other people compile and package it, which might be
easier to install. (The Wine download page is useless to an OS X user
looking for anything other than source code) (If you do this, you need
XCode and several dependancies...)

http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/Installing have some instructions on
installing Wine with MacPorts / Fink and a link to winebottler, ehich
is an unsupported build that seem to be quite well integrated with OS
X (you need to ask elsewhere if you have problems with WineBottler
though...)

Gert