[Wine] Re: Civilization V

PreZ wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Sep 24 20:51:59 CDT 2010

doh123 wrote:

> > fixme:wbemprox:wbem_locator_ConnectServer 0x9a13110, L"\\\\.\\root\\cimv2", (null), (null), (null), 0x00000000, (null), (nil), 0xa5591b4)
>

> root? did you run something under su or sudo?  that breaks all types of things.

No, I'm not that silly - I run it under my own user ID.  Nothing with wine is running as root.

And as for the vid. card - the entire machine is probably below spec, but I wanted to see if it would run if I pulled the graphics quality to the lowest.  You never know, it might still run ... slow, but might still run, and if it does, I can play it when on vacation ;)

As for the OS drivers, we'll see - I would prefer to use the binary drivers (fglrx), but the V5200 is not supported by the latest ATI drivers, and I have to be running xorg 7.3 to use the latest supported fglrx drivers for my card (which ubuntu does not run anymore).  So I have to use the OS drivers - though apparently the OS drivers have pretty good 3D support now, and as I said, the dxdiag stuff worked just fine.

But performance issues aside, that's not the point - the point is it not running starting up, not shitty performance ;)