[Wine] Re: world of warcraft Cata droping openGL

Adys wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Sep 30 07:13:20 CDT 2010

Blizzard is not dropping OpenGL on Windows just yet. They actually added some features to it in Cataclysm (addition of the hardware cursor for example).

However, the Windows-OpenGL engine is *extremely bad* in the current versions. It instantly crashes underwater, it doesn't support new water engine nor sunshafts, still no dynamic shadow support, etc.

The good news, now:
The d3d engine is *really good* in Cataclysm. And the Wine d3d devs have done an absolutely fantastic job these past years at improving d3d9 support in wine, up to the point that, on nvidia cards, the d3d engine actually runs smoother than the opengl engine in Cataclysm. And I can tell you that much: on max settings, it looks amazing.

But yes, the opengl-windows support is very sad right now. Will they eventually drop it? Perhaps. I hope not, especially since a large codebase is shared between mac and windows client, sane thing would be to fix whatever's currently broken.