[Wine] Re: gcc -O3 -march=barcelona breaks Wine

oiaohm wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Apr 3 00:50:17 CDT 2011

KenSharp lot of package builders don't change from defaults.

Yes the lack of what flags were used are a gcc bug.   Don't know if solveable by a gcc plugin. Yes it would be stupid to detect gcc then detect it don't have dwarf build flags support then have to load plugin so the information is recorded.

libdwarf http://reality.sgiweb.org/davea/dwarf.html could be used for writing the information into older binaries as well.

Mostly before hack to make it work in older version of gcc we need agreement upstream how it should be done.

Then a system for doing it to older gcc compilers can be done.  Since newer sections of dwarf will be disregarded by older compilers adding the information will not cause compatibility issues.

Also libdwarf is something that needs to be considered for winedbg as well.  Since it reads dwarf 2 dwarf3 and dwarf4 from the one interface.

Yes pure annoyance to fix the lack of build flags recorded is talk to upstream.  So we can stay synced.

Not all issues are exactly wine problems.  This one most wine developers don't class as their exact problem to solve.

http://blogs.sun.com/timc/entry/the_compiler_detective_what_compiler
Sun complier would tell you.   Basically the information you want should be in dwarf that is not.  It is out of our hands.   Wine developers don't believe in trying to hack ways around issues like this.  Long term its better to get a correct solution out of upstream first.   Then consider hacking to make older versions of the compiler work the same.