[Wine] creating built-in firewall for Wine

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 09:59:24 CDT 2011

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Boriso <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I want to have firewall/monitor in wine. Configuring Linux firewall is an external solution that affects all programs etc.

Really?  You have to read what is available for TCPWrappers and how
IPF Filters really work before making that statement.  I know them,
very well....

> The idea is to create configuration file for black- and/or while- list that would be analysed by wine during connections requests. The brute way is to
> modify ws2_32 dll source directly, but maybe there is more accurate way.

I will state what Vitamin and DanKegel have already said about this,
Wine does not support genuine Firewalling.  However, what you ARE
looking for is what Windows calls 'firewalling', that is limiting the
ability for a program to access the Internet.  UNIXs implement this
through the TCPWrapper function and you are free to port this to Wine.
 It will be a huge task, but may be worth it as others have asked for
the ability to do this.  However, this is 'outside' the scope of the
Wine projects goals, as the Windows Firewall is outside the technical
scope of building/reproducing the Windows API/ABI from what I
understand (I may be wrong at this point.)

> Could you suggest where to start digging? Is there any type of wine-extensions (AddIns) technique?

Code is available via Git and is publically available for you to use
(and modify to do what you want.)

Again, building functionality like TCPWrappers for Wine is a large
task/project, but you are always free to try to do so.

James McKenzie