[Wine] Re: Standalone Wine for console Win32 executables

DanKegel wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Apr 13 08:56:35 CDT 2011

FamilyGuy wrote:

> So I was wondering if there's any way to get a minimalistic wine build that would be standalone and could be used to launch a win32 console program with a command line similar to this: ./winestandalone win32program
> I'd like to avoid dependencies for anything else than what's in the working directory. I don't care if I have to include libraries as well, as long as it works from a usb-drive under Ubuntu without wine installed.

So you're looking for Portable Wine, I guess.

Here's how to strip it down to just the files needed:
  strace -e trace=open -o files.log -f  wine myexe.exe
  grep -v ENOENT files2.log | grep -v home | sed 's/.*("//;s/",.*//' | grep /  | sed 's,/bin/\.\.,,' | grep wine | sort -u > files.txt

files.txt contains just the needed files.

To make this portable, you need to do that on an uninstalled
copy of wine (in the source tree where it was built).

Et voila!