[Wine] Wine on different distributions

F_style wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Apr 24 01:46:30 CDT 2011

After trying several Windows apps with Wine on Linux, if I haven't misunderstood, I've learned that Wine may differ in compatibility depending on what distribution I'm using. I have seen one application working on a certain distro while on another one it crashes, provided I'm using same Wine version (usually latest one) and installing the same application the normal way.

But then if I copy the entire Wine prefix directory where the app is installed from the "good" distro to the "bad" one, and try to run the app directly from the copied directory, it works.

I'm still not sure, but maybe Wine installations/builds differ from a distro to another. But the question is, even when the configurer is the same, Gecko, how is it possible that copying a prefix from a distro to another can make an application to work? It's like created prefixes had their own innate "compatibility properties" according to the used distro...

This gets me a bit confused, help please. Thank you all.