[Wine] Re: Congratulations!

SpawnHappyJake wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Aug 1 18:27:42 CDT 2011

Yeah, I never posted this on the Internet, but I've noticed and have been telling people that the difference between WINE 1.2 and 1.3 has been night and day, for the better. The registry editor and the WINE file browser used to be redicuosly laggy, and that all went away when 1.3 rolled around. Not to long thereafter, Battle for Naboo went from garbage to gold to platinum (a game I really like). The WINE Internet Explorer and the WINE command prompt still need a lot of work, though.

And yes, I would much rather have Linux native programs provided right along-side the Windows ones, but even if the moment I hit "submit",  all software being sold/ is freeware from this point forward magically has a Linux version available, that doesn't change the fact that older software is still Windows-only. This is most important for games. Almost all non-game software either has a Linux version, will have a Linux version, or there is an alternative program that does the same thing in Linux. "WINE, GOG, and emulators like DOSBox are the three paths to game immortality" - a spiced-up and added-to paraphrase of DOS4Dinner.
Cheers,
Jake