[Wine] Re: Segmentation Fault

Morgoth wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Aug 3 04:02:32 CDT 2011

ischou wrote:

> jjmckenzie wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 8:33 PM, ischou <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Also, keep in mind that when you upgrade your version of wine and use the same WINEPREFIX to run your program, wine
> > > will update your WINEPREFIX, and you cannot simply downgrade wine to run from the same WINEPREFIX.
> > >

> > Not so fast.  I do this repeatedly.  Wine will 'update' data in your
> > Wine Prefix if it discovers that a newer installation is present or an
> > older one.
>

> Really?  Every time I've done this, my programs always crash when I attempt to use a older version of wine.  I make it a habit of naming my WINEPREFIXES now with the wine version that prefix is associated with.  Maybe I'm just unlucky.

I remember reading a thread somewhere where it was written that 1.3.15 breaks WINEPREFIX for older version. So, it's possible that it's something that started happening around that version and is getting worse with every new version.
Which is a shame because the ability to go back and forth depending on what version breaks what was very useful. I remember that sometimes I would have 3 different versions of wine installed every day. I used to keep a folder with .debs of different Wine version.