[Wine] HELP! How do I know if WINE is installed or will work? HELP!

Rick James wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Aug 8 03:47:23 CDT 2011

I just wanted Rosetta Stone. But after my computer recently bricked and I loaded ubuntu 11.04 onto it, I discovered wine, which would hopefully be my answer to make the pirated version of the $350+ program work. I have never seriously used linux before, so I have been stabbing blindly through the process of setup and whatnot based on the vague internet guides I have found. I have:
Q4wine
Wine Microsoft windows compatibility layer
Playon Linux
Winetricks
I dont know what any of this means, i just downloaded them because it seemed like it would enhance the original (whichever one that is). After tweaking a whole bunch of stuff (feel free to ask about what these are... I can't think of them through the blur of this foreign language), I don't know if it's actually istalled correctly, will take rosetta stone, or anything at all! Please help!! I am just a newb with no serious geeks to help me :(  :(  :(