[Wine] Re: Japanese and Korean Fonts inside Wine.

DaVince wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Aug 16 09:23:16 CDT 2011

nenik wrote:
> For korean:
>
> LANG=kr_KR.SHIFT_JIS wine appname.exe ??
>
> For Chinese
> LANG=zh_CN.SHIFT_JIS wine appname.exe
>
> ??

No, there's different character sets for that. SHIF_JIS is really meant for Japanese.

I might be wrong, but Korean has two character sets:
ko_KR.EUC-KR
ko_KR.UTF-8

And Chinese has these:
Simplified:
zh_CN.GB2312
zh_CN.GBK
zh_CN.GB18030
zh_CN.UTF-8

Traditional:
zh_TW.Big5
zh_TW.Big5-HKSCS
zh_TW.UTF-8

Source is http://download.oracle.com/javase/1.5.0/docs/guide/intl/locale.doc.html

I recommend that you try them in order. Older, or lazily written software, will usually not be written in Unicode (UTF-8), which means that they will have to use any of the other specialized character sets for that locale, like GB2312. The reason for this is because there have been a lot of different implementations in the past in how to handle all these special character sets, until UTF-8 came along and fixed it all. Of course, applications have to try and start supporting UTF-8 all on their own; software written in any other character set will have to use those.

It's comparable to old English apps actually using ASCII (but all ASCII characters are still in the exact same spot in UTF-8, so they will work without having to switch to ASCII anyway. This is not true for every other character set out there).