[Wine] How to let wine doing a rescan of PATA devices?

Peter0 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Aug 17 16:20:00 CDT 2011

I used to use a hot-plugable PATA-CDROM drive on my Computer (Samsung P35 laptop).
To change drive I use a script which at the bottom of its heart uses

Code:
echo "scsi remove-single-device 1 0 0 0" | sudo tee /proc/scsi/scsi

 and
Code:
echo "scsi add-single-device 1 0 0 0" | sudo tee /proc/scsi/scsi

 commands in oder to let the OS being aware of the changed drive.

This works fine except for windows applications. To let them be aware of changed drive, I got to close any windows application. Not till then, wineserver disappears from task list, signing me that I can restart windows SW.

Usually the SW is EAC (Exact Audio Copy, a cd ripper). I isn't enough to merely exit and restart EAC. Instead I'm forced to exit all other wine controlled SW, even if this other SW doesn't do anything with the CDROM. If I failed to exit all applications, EAC simply doesn't list any drive after restart.

Is there something I missed? Is there a way to let wine do something like a rescan of devices, particulary the CDROM without a restart?
It'd be ideal if it simply doesn't need any restart at all; but anyway, if I manage this to work after exiting and restarting of only EAC, it'd be a great help, too.

Thanks – Peter

wine-1.2.2, Ubuntu 10.04 LTS - Lucid Lynx, Gnome 2.30.2
EAC V0.99 prebeta 5 from http://www.exactaudiocopy.org/