[Wine] Re: wine vs virtualbox

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Aug 24 12:50:23 CDT 2011

M1kkko wrote:
> For what I understand, although it may not be an easy job to do, Wine developers are planning to fully support copy protection at some point. They're not saying "it's never going to happen", it's just a matter of work.

It doesn't matter how hard you try, some things will never work on Wine. Few examples of such things are:
- Software that explicitly checks for virtual machine/Wine and refuses to start
- Root kits & co that intercept lots of kernel calls. And do other nasty stuff
- Copy protection schemas that depend on exact timing of some operations (both software and hardware)