[Wine] Clean enviroments in Wine

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Fri Dec 2 14:08:13 CST 2011

On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 13:25 -0600, bigseb wrote:
> Thanks, Martin. I am not very terminal fluent so:
> cd $HOME   ----> change to home directory
Correct. Running "cd" with no arguments does the same but I showed the
other form because what it does is more obvious.

> mkdir .wine_myapp   -----> create a dir in home folder with apps name

Correct.

> export WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.wine_myapp"  ----> don't know what this does :(

This redefines the $WINEPREFIX shell variable, which wine uses to find
the prefix its going the use. $WINEPREFIX defaults to "$HOME/.wine"

> I'll check out the link, in the meantime what does a wrapper script do?

Its a short-hand way of running an application in a non-default prefix.
You can simply type the script name at the command prompt or create a
launcher that uses it: this lets you click an icon to run it.

The site that link references is mine: I use it for computer-related
stuff.

Martin