[Wine] Re: Clean enviroments in Wine

bigseb wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Dec 3 16:07:28 CST 2011

export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-new
wine winecfg
winetricks

Keep in mind that every time you close a terminal, the variable WINEPREFIX is removed. So, when you open a new terminal, you have to do the "export" thing for the prefix (environment) you want to use.[/quote]

See, this is where I get lost. Take those first three lines of code, I don't know what they do  :(  The first creates a new wine folder called (in this case) wine-new. The second and third lines I haven't a clue. I know you're trying to help but I'd really like to understand why I'm typing what you suggest. I also not sure what you mean in the last paragraph. Sure, closing the terminal will 'lose my place' so to speak but what do I do with the exporting bit.

As I said above, I have the .exe in my Downloads folder. I double click it and it installs in the .wine folder and the program works beautifully but since it is being recommended to install in clean prefixes I'd like to learn how its done.

Thanks though for all your input so far.