[Wine] status of Jack?

jordan triplesquarednine at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 00:39:57 CST 2011

Hey Kristof,

> So, is the latest version if wineasio (0.9.0) compatible with the current
> wine version (1.3.34), or should I go for cvs/svn?

you can use any (modern) version of wine. I am currently using wine
1.3.34 (with the wine-rt patch). there's no point in grabbing the very
latest wine sources, as 1.3.34 is a development release, anyway. ;)

> Is this the right list to discuss wineasio and FST/Festige, or should I take
> it to linux-audio?

Depends, i suppose. WineASIO gets talked about here and there on this
list, more often than FST/Festige anyway. You may find help on both
lists, but i would say try to figure out which list is better to post
on for a given question.

> (In fact, one of my primary goals in this project is to run Kontakt on
> Linux, and since it'a VST, FST is my prime candidate for the job.
> Stand-alone applications are a secondary goal.)

Honestly, You are most likely going to periodically experience some
nasty audible xruns from Kontakt...just to give you a head's up.

You are probably better off making your own sample banks in say,
Linuxsampler - where you are going to actually get decent performance
out of them, without glitchyness (this is also true of Battery3, i
would know as i own N.I. Komplete 7).

Native instruments plugins can be dicey and mileage will vary! (with
WineASIO and/or Festige). it can be a little disappointing. You will
also either have to compile the latest wineASIO with INT32, and change
a wine registry setting to enable it (howto in readme i think),
otherwise N.I plugins just produce distortion. Alternatively, you can
use an older version of wineASIO, such as 0.7.5 .

cheerz