[Wine] wine's iexplore: application protocols ?

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Tue Dec 13 05:12:56 CST 2011

On Mon, 2011-12-12 at 22:20 -0600, vichu11 wrote:
> I too had been wondering how certain applications manage to register
> custom protocols that indeed belong to them as when compared to the
> usual http we all know. Now correct me if I am wrong but it seems to
> me that Custom protocols do work in any kind of Wine applications.

It depends on how the protocol is implemented: if the code implementing
it runs in user space, e.g. its compiled into the EXE or is part of a
library module (DLL), then it should work with Wine, but if its been
implemented as a device driver then you're out of luck because you can't
install Windows drivers in Linux or OS X.

Martin