[Wine] Can't install Civ4

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 19:18:45 CST 2011

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 10:31 AM, BobTheBull <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> OK, this seems to work.
>
> http://pastebin.com/embed_js.php?i=ikUsq0Wx
>
> BTW, It installs in Mandriva, which is using 1.3.28, so this seems to be something with versions 1.3.33 and later, and
> possibly also Suse 12.1 or kernel 3.1.X. Note the problem is getting the installer to run; it fails in the installshield wizard
> stage. This is the only installer I have found to do this in most recent versions.
>
> Civ4 itself does run; copied the prefix from the old 11.4 install, renamed it and set WINEPREFIX and the game ran.
> There were problems in the environment, though, and I decided it would not be wise to try to use the old bottle with the
> new version.

Actually, you should be able to run the program as long as the Wine
architecture is the same (32 or 64 bit).  Reading through your pastie,
I noticed what dimesio noticed.   You are trying to run a 32 bit
program in 64 bit Wine.  This may require forcing the architecture to
32 bit and creating a new Wine prefix to go along with this change.

After doing this, please install and run the program again.  If it
does not run, please provide a new log file on pastebin.

Thank you.

James