[Wine] Putty X11 problem

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Wed Dec 21 10:25:24 CST 2011

On Wed, 2011-12-21 at 08:52 -0600, wittig wrote:
> I use WinSCP to connect to remote server with wine. I use Putty as a
> terminal,

Why use Wine to run a text-only ssh client when you can use the Linux
native ssh as a terminal and either scp and sftp for file transfers?
Enable X-11 forwarding for the Linux ssh client. This won't give you a
desktop on the remote server, but will let you run graphical
applications from the command line.

Have you looked at using VNC, which does provide a remote desktop? It
needs to be installed at both ends but, once installed, can be used
without bothering the sysadmins. You can start the VNC server from an
ordinary ssh session before logging out leaving it running. Then you can
use either the VNC client or a web browser to login to the vnc server
and start a remote desktop.

> but it seems, I cannot use X11 tunneling to run graphical applicatoins
> from this remote server, although X11 is enabled in Putty. Is there a
> solution for that?

Not as far as I know. PuTTY is a text only ssh client that emulates a
24x80 terminal. X-11 forwarding is not supported by it since that
requires an X-11 server to be up and running, something that is most
unlikely to be available on a Windows box that's running PuTTY.
If full X-11 graphics is required under Windows, there'd be a copy of a
graphical package such as Cygwin/X, Exceed or Xming installed and you
wouldn't be bothering with PuTTY.

Martin