[Wine] Can I play any Win7 game on Linux?

tparker at etherstorm.net tparker at etherstorm.net
Thu Dec 22 01:19:02 CST 2011

On 12/22/2011 1:59 AM, teemumilto wrote:

> Before I decide, tell me, can I play any Win7 game I like on Linux, by using Wine

No, wine will not play games with certain type of DRM. Beyond that you
will have to put time and effort into searching for fixs and workarounds
to each game individually if you run into trouble trying to play it
through wine. People are willing to help with that but it will take work
on your part as well. The wine appdb has info on many games and you
should search for the games you want to play there and see what is
listed for how well they work and how much goes into setting them up.

? I am a PC gamer, I want to have maximum performance on SLI GTX 580
graphics cards

You will not have this through wine. Wine does only DirectX9 graphics at
this time. Any games that use DX10 or 11 will not have those graphics
options and if the game requires either 10 or 11 it simply will not
work. Even with DX9 you may not see the same framerates you do in
windows but that will vary greatly depending on the game. Again, you can
check the appdb ahead of time for more information on that per game.