[Wine] Carbonite on Wine?

SpawnHappyJake wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Dec 23 04:46:34 CST 2011

Is it forseeably possible to get Carbonite Online Backup running in Wine?

This is something I've wanted to get working in Wine for quite a while now and have tried to do so every now and then (I think as far back as last year). Just now bringing this to the forums.

I tried it again today and earlier this week with Wine 1.3.35. Nothing visible other than endless babbling outputting from terminal occurs. I pasted a whopping 65 KB worth of this babbling here: http://pastebin.com/t76nWARh

Anyone can waltz right up to carbonite.com and download a free trial installer, though you do have to create an account.

If you open this installer with an archive manager, you can see that it is made mostly of java scipts. One of these is Installation.js, which I'm guessing is the one that starts it all off.

It seems like I remember reading somewhere that Carbonite depends on IE somehow.

Anyways, Carbonite on Linux would be absolutely fantastic! I guess I'll move to Crashplan if I want unlimited backup for Linux if Carbonite doesn't pan out in Wine. It's just that there are lots of people who have already bought subscriptions to Carbonite and then moved to Linux or and then found out about unlimited backup for Linux (like guess who... me). At the time, I think Carbonite was the only one that was offering unlimited backup that cheap. I actually just found out about Crashplan today because I was about to write that after much research Carbonite is the only relatively cheap unlimited online backup. Then I thought, "I better double check. Things change, and that research was from last year." And what do you know? Crashplan. They even have a Solaris version.

Cheers,
Jake