[Wine] Re: Crysis Retail w/ Wine 1.3.35

Bob Wya wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Dec 28 16:35:32 CST 2011

OK after trying a various different versions of WINE - I decided to go back to investigate the core issue that of focus being in the console window used to launch Crysis (I can see all my keystrokes in Konsole - after I have closed the Crysis window down).

After playing about with the settings in Kubuntu 11.10/KDE 4.7.4 I established that:
With focus stealing NONE I can click into the Crysis (full-screened) window and give it keyboard focus.

With focus stealing LOW (default - which I am still using) I have to have to either click on the desktop while WINE/Crysis is starting up or ALT-TAB into the Crysis (full-screened) window to give it keyboard focus.

The KDE System Settings GUI states that LEFT-CLICK will focus+raise inactive windows... But this does not work for the Crysis (full-screened) window when focus stealing is set to LOW. I guess Kwin is not seeing the mouse clicks because they are being passed through to WINE - directly by the XServer??? I can get around this by using a global keyboard shortcut (ALT-TAB) that is captured by Kwin - right??

As previously - Crysis is running as well as it ever did (on my ol' 8800 GTX) - so that's all good!

Anyone else seeing this issue in a KDE Desktop Environment? I don't (personally) recall seeing it in earlier versions of KDE... Hmmm might be useful to get some info on this added to the WINE FAQ...

Anyway thanks for all the thoughtful replies!

Bob