[Wine] Warcraft 3: TFT or RoC in Wine

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 13:11:41 CST 2011

I was finally able to test this on gentoo and it worked without a
single tweak. I first installed a wine-1.3.36 with the following use
flags:

jmd0 ~ # equery uses wine-1.3.36
[ Legend : U - final flag setting for installation]
[        : I - package is installed with flag     ]
[ Colors : set, unset                             ]
 * Found these USE flags for app-emulation/wine-1.3.36:
 U I
 + + X             : Adds support for X11
 + + alsa          : Adds support for media-libs/alsa-lib (Advanced
Linux Sound Architecture)
 - - capi          : Enable ISDN support via CAPI
 + + cups          : Add support for CUPS (Common Unix Printing System)
 + + custom-cflags : Bypass strip-flags; use are your own peril
 + + fontconfig    : Support for configuring and customizing font
access via media-libs/fontconfig
 + + gecko         : Add support for the Gecko engine when using iexplore
 + + gnutls        : Adds support for net-libs/gnutls (TLS 1.0 and SSL
3.0 support)
 + + gphoto2       : Adds digital camera support
 - - gsm           : Adds support for the gsm lossy speech compression codec
 - - hardened      : activate default security enhancements for
toolchain (gcc, glibc, binutils)
 + + jpeg          : Adds JPEG image support
 + + lcms          : Adds lcms support (color management engine)
 + + ldap          : Adds LDAP support (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol)
 + + mp3           : Add support for reading mp3 files
 + + ncurses       : Adds ncurses support (console display library)
 + + nls           : Adds Native Language Support (using gettext - GNU
locale utilities)
 - - openal        : Adds support for the Open Audio Library
 - - opencl        : Enable OpenCL support
 + + opengl        : Adds support for OpenGL (3D graphics)
 + + oss           : Adds support for OSS (Open Sound System)
 + + perl          : Install helpers written in perl (winedump/winemaker)
 + + png           : Adds support for libpng (PNG images)
 + + samba         : Add support for NTLM auth. see
http://wiki.winehq.org/NtlmAuthSetupGuide and
                     http://wiki.winehq.org/NtlmSigningAndSealing
 - - scanner       : Adds support for scanner hardware (e.g. build the
sane frontend in kdegraphics)
 + + ssl           : Adds support for Secure Socket Layer connections
 - - test          : Workaround to pull in packages needed to run with
FEATURES=test. Portage-2.1.2 handles
                     this internally, so don't set it in
make.conf/package.use anymore
 + + threads       : Adds threads support for various packages. Usually pthreads
 + + truetype      : Adds support for FreeType and/or FreeType2 fonts
 - - udisks        : Support dynamic storage devices using sys-fs/udisks
 + + v4l           : Enable support for video4linux (using
linux-headers or userspace libv4l libraries)
 + + win32         : Build a 32bit version of Wine (won't run Win64 binaries)
 - - win64         : Build a 64bit version of Wine (won't run Win32 binaries)
 - - xcomposite    : Enable support for the Xorg composite extension
 - - xinerama      : Add support for the xinerama X11 extension, which
is mandatory if you work in multiple
                     monitors setup
 + + xml           : Add support for XML files

Then I created a new user so I know I will be starting off with a
totally clean slate and I would not have to create a new WINEPREFIX on
my default user.

I did this with the useradd command from the shell

In the process I assigned the user to the following groups:
gamestest at jmd0 ~ $ groups
disk wheel uucp cron audio cdrom video games cdrw usb users portage
crontab vboxusers kvm vmware developers gamestest

I am not sure which of these were necessary but that is what my
default user had..

after this I used the kde-4.7.4 Switch User Leave option to switch to
a new x11 session as the new user.

After that the first thing I did was to open a konsole window and type winecfg

gamestest at jmd0 /auto/home/gamestest $ winecfg
wine: created the configuration directory '/home/gamestest/.wine'
fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
err:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim error reading registry key for installroot
err:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim error reading registry key for installroot
err:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim error reading registry key for installroot
err:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim error reading registry key for installroot
err:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim error reading registry key for installroot
err:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim error reading registry key for installroot
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0xfce8fc, overlapped 0xfce8e0): stub
wine: configuration in '/home/gamestest/.wine' has been updated.
gamestest at jmd0 /auto/home/gamestest $ cd .wine/
gamestest at jmd0 /auto/home/gamestest/.wine $ ls
dosdevices  drive_c  system.reg  user.reg  userdef.reg

Then in winecfg I used the advanced tab to create a drive y: and
connected that to /mnt/cdrom

gamestest at jmd0 /auto/home/gamestest/.wine $ cd dosdevices/
gamestest at jmd0 /auto/home/gamestest/.wine/dosdevices $ ls
c:  y:  z:
gamestest at jmd0 /auto/home/gamestest/.wine/dosdevices $ ls -al
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 gamestest gamestest 4096 Dec 31 13:45 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 gamestest gamestest 4096 Dec 31 13:45 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 gamestest gamestest   10 Dec 31 13:44 c: -> ../drive_c
lrwxrwxrwx 1 gamestest gamestest   10 Dec 31 13:45 y: -> /mnt/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx 1 gamestest gamestest    1 Dec 31 13:44 z: -> /

After this I created a y:: link for the cdrom drive.

gamestest at jmd0 /auto/home/gamestest/.wine/dosdevices $ ln -s /dev/cdrom y::

amestest at jmd0 /auto/home/gamestest/.wine/dosdevices $ ls
c:  y:  y::  z:

Then I installed WC3 ROC using the following command:

gamestest at jmd0 /auto/home/gamestest/.wine/dosdevices $ wine y:install
fixme:alsa:AudioClient_GetMixFormat Don't know what to do with 10000
channels, pretending there's only 2 channels
fixme:alsa:AudioClient_GetMixFormat Don't know what to do with 10000
channels, pretending there's only 2 channels
fixme:alsa:AudioClient_GetMixFormat Don't know what to do with 10000
channels, pretending there's only 2 channels
fixme:alsa:AudioClient_GetMixFormat Don't know what to do with 10000
channels, pretending there's only 2 channels
fixme:alsa:AudioClient_GetMixFormat Don't know what to do with 10000
channels, pretending there's only 2 channels
fixme:alsa:AudioClient_GetMixFormat Don't know what to do with 10000
channels, pretending there's only 2 channels
fixme:alsa:AudioClient_GetMixFormat Don't know what to do with 10000
channels, pretending there's only 2 channels
gamestest at jmd0 /auto/home/gamestest/.wine/dosdevices $

After the Install I clicked play. And then went strait into battle.net
and it asked me if I wanted to update. I said yes and the update
downloaded and worked. Then I added a user and played the first
tutorial campaign and this like all other steps worked without any
issue.

John