[Wine] Re: multiple wine versions

aldouxhuxley wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Feb 4 12:41:04 CST 2011

ok wow this shit was ridiculous but i can't believe i got it to work:
so the idea: i uninstalled both versions of wine and decided to start anew with playonlinux
this is the tale of how i managed to get there

1. removed wine-1.3.6: cd $HOME/.wine-1.3.6 && make uninstall
2. removed wine-1.2.2 (the sudo apt-get wine): sudo apt-get autoremove wine
3. this did not work as 'wine' still printed instructions indiciating it was still present so I: sudo find / -name wine
4. I removed everything manually via: sudo rm -r /dir/* OR sudo rmdir OR sudo rm file
5. Also removed 'wine' from the applications tab: "Right-click your menu and select 'Edit Menus'. You can then right-click your selections in the right hand pane and select 'delete'." * i forget source for this quote
5. 'sudo find / -name 'wine' still showed /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/wine SO I: sudo umount(ed) it:: sudo umount /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/wine
6. then I rebooted

Installing playonlinux
1. after install playonlinux says that it requires wine and doesn't start
2. i go to ubuntu software center and find 'wine' even though it was manually 'removed' and it fails saying that it 'requires installation of untrusted packages to uninstall' so.. i used: http://start.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1387170
a. sudo apt-get clean
b. cd /var/lib/apt
c. sudo mv lists lists.old
d. sudo mkdir -p lists/partial
e. sudo apt-get clean
f. sudo apt-get update
which finally allows me to remove wine from ubuntu software center but BUT does not allow me to install playonlinux
3. THEN i went to install playonlinux via: sudo apt-get install playonlinux
and it worked after awhile of downloading and extracting

- i can't believe i eventually got it to 'work' with so many different hacks from so many sites.. prolly did it the hard way and the wrong way but in the end i have what i think i want

hope this helps another lost soul