[Wine] Stick on installation: winecfg not found

ryan woodsmall rwoodsmall at mac.com
Sun Feb 13 20:48:05 CST 2011

> thanks a lot for your hint.
>
> I tried to manage it with Fink, same result.
>
> Where do I find/get the script from Ryan you mentioned? It sounds like a great help!
>
> I invested more than a day for installing several x11, Finks and other packaged, reading user manuals and surfing the net for help without a positive result, so I would be happy if I could invest two more hours and it works ;->

My build script is basically a wrapper for building Wine and a large number of dependencies on Mac OS X 10.6, and it should work on 10.5 as well:

http://code.google.com/p/osxwinebuilder/

It's basically an all-inclusive source build of Wine.  You need Xquartz and the proper Mac Xcode developer tools for your OS version:

http://xquartz.macosforge.org
http://developer.apple.com/technologies/xcode.html

The script can be invoked with no options for a stable Wine build (version 1.2.x) or using the "--devel" option for the development version (1.3.x).  I'd recommend the development version, and it will likely become the default on a commit in the near future.  Once the build is complete, the Wine build is contained entirely in a subdirectory in your home folder, and can be run from the command line after setting a few environment variables:

http://code.google.com/p/osxwinebuilder/#Running_Wine

Note that running fullscreen apps in Wine on OS X is still a bit sketchy, so if something that should work fails, you can invoke winecfg and set a virtual desktop, and a fullscreen app will run in the virtual desktop window.

doh123 put together Wineskin, and Mike Kronenberg put together WineBottler, which are both more Mac-user friendly:

http://wineskin.doh123.com
http://winebottler.kronenberg.org

As usual, none of these are supported directly by the Wine project, so any problem reports need to go directly to the developers. -r