[Wine] Wine registry format question

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Thu Feb 17 00:57:23 CST 2011

> vitamin wrote:
>> Those .reg files are not the real .reg files.
>
> What gave you that idea?  Where else is wineserver going to get previous values when it starts?  Wine doesn't come with the registry keys of every Windows program ever written.

I think what Vitamin meant is that it is in a format similar to, but
not identical to Windows .reg files and that changes (by directly
editing) can't be expected to behave in the same way as changes to
Windows .reg files.

Creating a .reg file (with the edits) and importing it with regedit is
not that hard and a lot less likely to break Wine. This is how it
needs to be done on Windows anyway, where the registry is in binary
hives that can not be edited directly (at least using standard,
supported tools).

If not to edit it, why are you trying to figure out the format of the
registry files? Most of the reasons that do not involve editing it
probably involve the wine source code anyway...

Gert