[Wine] Native Instruments Battery3

jordan triplesquarednine at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 13:43:53 CST 2011

Hi,

I have Battery3 installed..(actually all of N.I Komplete)

i wouldn't expect that plugin to be "lite" on resources, it's not. it
has a number FX, and multi-layered sounds, as well as some other
non-cpu-lite features ~ like it's gui.

i only experience xruns with that application, sometimes when
starting, and usually on exit.
Otherwise, it runs perfectly fine. - this is using my ubuntu 10.10
64-bit (quad-core).
I am using wineASIO 0.9.0 (beta), with Jack2, wine 1.3 (actually
"wine-rt"). ~ from the KxStudio repositories...

However, on my laptop (coreduo) battery3 does cause some xruns.
usually when switching drumkits, and if my CPU and DSP load are really
high, during playback, i may also experience xruns. also, I had to
revert my Battery3 install, as a recent update that added some
features, seem to make the plugin less stable and reliable under wine
on my machine. (including more xruns)

1.You might want to use wine-rt, and specify proper priorites for
battery3 and see if that helps...

2.one way of reducing xruns on my laptop, was to disable SMP support
in Battery3's "options" section.

3.You also could limit how many outputs Battery has, i think by
default it will have 8 or 16 - which may also be giving you more
xruns.

4.You may also want to adjust the DFD stuff in battery.  The xruns
could be because of a slow-disk too?

or....

5.if you happen to be using a slower machine, i wouldn't bother with
Battery3. Instead, i would ditch it for a mmore minimal sampler such
as "specimen" or "linuxsampler". You can take all of the Battery3 drum
sample librairies from your ISO/or hard-disk, and map them in either
program.   then you will be using more like 4% CPU even when playing
many multi-layered sounds at once.

This is actually what i do...

why bother wasting large amounts of CPU on a task, that really should
take very little cpu?

there's my cents, hope it helps

jordan