[Wine] Can't get wine to run any programs: included error message.

kpwall wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Feb 19 16:52:29 CST 2011

Okay I just installed the latest ver of Ubuntu and then installed the beta ver of Wine because the non-beta told me that it wouldn't install on AMD x 64 type computers.

So I just installed the beta Wine version and I can't get any programs to run at all using wine.

I also am having many pages on this forum stalling out, so i tried to read the user manual but i am not able to load it.

It appears that wine creates a dir of the programs on the windows area of the HD but why can't I just install the program I want to run through my ubuntu interface

Here is error code i get no matter what i try to run--other than the one notepad program that seems to be included with the wine program.

Thanks for any and all help!!!

Archive:  /home/tosh/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/notepad.exe
[/home/tosh/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/notepad.exe]
  End-of-central-directory signature not found.  Either this file is not
  a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.  In the
  latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
  the last disk(s) of this archive.
note:  /home/tosh/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/notepad.exe may be a plain executable, not an archive
zipinfo:  cannot find zipfile directory in one of /home/tosh/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/notepad.exe or
          /home/tosh/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/notepad.exe.zip, and cannot find /home/tosh/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/notepad.exe.ZIP, period.