[Wine] Use raw-format drives

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 19 19:48:21 CST 2011

On 2/19/11 6:17 PM, annacegu wrote:
> James McKenzie wrote:
>>
>> If the program accesses the drive, maybe.  Run the lsusb program when
>> you insert the drive and see what Linux is reporting as the drive.
>> Since the drive is 'raw' it should not have a drive letter.  This is why
>> I wrote the first part of my comment.
>>
>> James McKenzie
>
> Hi James,
>
> I don't have lsusb on my mac. Here is the system_profiler part for the USB device I'm trying to use:
>
>              USB Storage:
>
>                Capacity: 2.03 GB (2,032,664,576 bytes)
>                Removable Media: Yes
>                Detachable Drive: Yes
>                BSD Name: disk1
>                Product ID: 0x0727
>                Vendor ID: 0x05e3  (Genesys Logic, Inc.)
>                Version:  2.07
>                Serial Number: 000000000207
>                Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
>                Manufacturer: Generic
>                Location ID: 0xfd360000
>                Current Available (mA): 500
>                Current Required (mA): 500
>                Partition Map Type: Unknown
>                S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported
>
> Regards,
> Anna.

Also, I just plugged in my USB 'stick' and it showed up as four devices
under the /dev directory (you have to be a system administrator AND
access this through Terminal.)

The following is the result of using the ls (list) with the -l (long
format) command for these devices:

brw-r----- 1 <user> operator 14, 10 Feb 19 18:39 disk4
brw-r----- 1 <user> operator 14, 11 Feb 19 18:39 disk4s1

This is the block access (b) and the device is only read/write for me.

crw-r----- 1 <user> operator 14, 10 Feb 19 18:39 rdisk4
crw-r----- 1 <user> operator 14, 11 Feb 19 18:39 rdisk4s1

This is the character level access (c) and the same 'rights' are
bestowed upon the device.  You might want to try this with the device
not plugged in and when it is plugged in.

You want to map the 'raw' level (in my case rdisk4) to a drive letter,
if that is what the program requires.  Otherwise, and if the program
requires the use of a hardware Windows driver, you are out of luck
trying to get this to work with Wine as it is now.

James McKenzie