[Wine] Are logfiles generated for for wine sessions?

Ranguvar ranguvar at archlinux.us
Sat Feb 19 20:52:41 CST 2011

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 21:29, cappy <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> I've installed my first Windows 32-bit app, which ran just fine.
> I was a bit concerned how to specify the paths for the installer, since there are no C: D; etc. Surprisingly the installer went fine, and I was able to launch the app.
>
> Some (wine) error messages were displayed while the app was running. I'm wondering if it would help to send the logfile to the developers so they can hopefully improve wine.
>
> What is the procedure when people have problems running the applications?
> Is there a logfile to send the developers?

There are Windows-style drives, actually.
They are mapped to ~/.wine/drive_X/, where X is the letter (of course,
if your WINEPREFIX is set in a different place, it won't be ~/.wine/).
You can control them in the winecfg program.

As to your other question, if the app runs perfectly fine, logs are
not needed.  It's not that they'd be useless, just that the developers
have a lot more flaws which actually cause problems on their hands :p
If a program does have a problem, feel free to note it in the AppDB
(http://appdb.winehq.org/), and submit a bug
(http://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-guide/bug-reporting).

Hope your further adventures with Wine prove fruitful!

 -- Devin Cofer