[Wine] Re: Use raw-format drives

annacegu wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Feb 19 21:15:45 CST 2011

James McKenzie wrote:
> Also, I just plugged in my USB 'stick' and it showed up as four devices
> under the /dev directory (you have to be a system administrator AND
> access this through Terminal.)
>
> The following is the result of using the ls (list) with the -l (long
> format) command for these devices:
>
> brw-r----- 1 <user> operator 14, 10 Feb 19 18:39 disk4
> brw-r----- 1 <user> operator 14, 11 Feb 19 18:39 disk4s1
>
> This is the block access (b) and the device is only read/write for me.
>
> crw-r----- 1 <user> operator 14, 10 Feb 19 18:39 rdisk4
> crw-r----- 1 <user> operator 14, 11 Feb 19 18:39 rdisk4s1
>
> This is the character level access (c) and the same 'rights' are
> bestowed upon the device.  You might want to try this with the device
> not plugged in and when it is plugged in.
>
> You want to map the 'raw' level (in my case rdisk4) to a drive letter,
> if that is what the program requires.  Otherwise, and if the program
> requires the use of a hardware Windows driver, you are out of luck
> trying to get this to work with Wine as it is now.
>
> James McKenzie

Mine is showing up as only 1 USB, probably because it's not formatted as any filesystem:

crw-r-----  1 <user>  operator   14,   4 20 Feb 14:06 rdisk1

brw-r-----  1 <user>  operator   14,   4 20 Feb 14:06 disk1

When the device is not plugged in, it's not showing up on the ls.

What do you mean by a hardware Windows driver? Does this include drivers that come default with windows?

Anna.