[Wine] Native Instruments Battery3

jordan triplesquarednine at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 14:10:33 CST 2011

Hey  again,

> With those configurations, and thanks to your advices, the results was pretty good.
> XRUNS occured only when I opened/closed Battery, and the CPU never went over 16%!
> The only annoying thing was a strange vibration in the built-in reverb.

Interesting, never had a problem with the reverb, who knows what's
causing that....?!

> But, in the end, you were right: it's better to use a native sampler because it'is more stable and cpu-optimized.

Ya, i was just trying to be a friend, and save you from wasting time.
Quite frankly, from a "sampling prespective" ~ battery3 isn't even
that great. (especially when using wine) it's okay, but there is way
better options for sampling in linux... battery3 does however come
with awesome drumkits/samples...

> I'm happy that I can use Battery3 on GNU Linux, but in the (near) future I'm planning to switch to > a native sampler, maybe Hydrogen..

hydrogen is also a CPU pig, and even more limited in it's sampling
capabilities than Battery3.
I would still recommend using Specimen, LinuxSampler or Tapeutape.
(they are lighter, and in my opinion much more powerful).

these sampling tools are extremely CPU-efficient, don't have bloat.
You will get good performance out of any of them, and shouldn't
experience xruns.  I am currently using Specimen.  It has nice
features that remind me of my old Akai Mpc2000XL.  ie:  resonant
filter (per sound), sample-layering, envelopes, etc. it also has LFO
(like battery3), and under the velocity tab, you can setup your
velocity based on things like cut-off (filter), pitch, etc. (much like
Battery3 does also).
This allows each sample played to be more dynamic. Specimen is like a
mix of my old MPC, and how samples are treated/used by Trackers (ie:
renoise, buzz, fasttracker2, etc).
you can do some interesting things.

> So thanks again for your help :-)

I don't mind at all.

I will add though, lots of VSTi synths work very well in Wine. I use
Most N.I instruments, just not Battery3. G-force plugins work nice
too.  In fact, if you want to know the "best supported VST's in Wine"
~ just goto http://www.kvraudio.com  ... and search for VSTs...
anything that is "receptor compatible" should work well - as the
"Receptor" is essentially a rackmount PC, running Fedora-core (linux)
with Wine, to host windows VST. - just a tip :)

jordan