[Wine] SSE2 - Wine issue or not?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 22 21:39:24 CST 2011

On 2/22/11 9:11 AM, cloudnine233 wrote:
> [quote="James Mckenzie"]cloudnine233<wineforum-user at winehq.org>  wrote:
>
>> Sent: Feb 22, 2011 8:32 AM
>> To: wine-users at winehq.org
>> Subject: [Wine]  Re: SSE2 - Wine issue or not?
>>

> Then tell us what happens when you use Wine.
>
> I have not tried WINE yet as I am researching the forums to see if WINE has a solution to the original challenge of recognizing SSE2.
What makes you think that Wine would do so and that we would know?  That
is why there is an Applications Database with applications that users
have tried to use and their successes.  If there is no entry that means:

1.  No one has tried before.
2.  They have but have not recorded their success or failure.

>    That functionality is really related to WINE.
Yes and no.  CrossOver has specialized code that either cannot be
brought into Wine or will not.  Their X11 build is outside of the scope
of this project.
> CrossOver depends on WINE to provide the core libs to integrate with LINUX.
Yes, they do but they add to those 'core libs' in a manner that is
specific to them.  That is why they have their own support forums.
>    CrossOver simply provides an interface for managing the bottles and apps.
And other items.  So does WineBottler and WineSkin for the Mac.  We
cannot support them either and they have their own support mechanisms.
>    CrossOver has no solution for the SSE2 - which led me here.
Ok.  Then provide the information we have asked for.  Dimensio and I
have pointed out the relevant portions of the FAQ.  Your turn.

> Interesting that although the original poster asked about PreSonus and SSE2 - this has gone down the path of printers and everywhere else - including being pushed out - but no direct answer to the issue.  Why doesn't WINE recognize SSE2 compliant CPU's? - or How do I/we get WINE to recognize SSE2?
Since this is an open source project, you are welcome to look at the
Developer pages and start building code to make this happen.  Or you
could ask the folks at CodeWeavers and they may or may not do this.  It
all depends on demand and money.

Also are the SSE2 CPUs x86 complaint?  If not, then there is MUCH more
work that needs to be done and that is outside the scope of this project
(Q-kemu is an x86 emulator project for the PowerPC platform and there
are others.)

James McKenzie