[Wine] Current best AMD processor for running mainstream games?

tparker tparker at etherstorm.net
Fri Feb 25 07:56:13 CST 2011

On 02/24/2011 09:28 PM, pin-no-err wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to buy a processor that will be good for gaming in Wine in FreeBSD.<snip>  however it appears that multi-threaded applications are not distributed properly across multiple cores<snip>  should aim for single-core (Athlon, Sempron, Opteron?) or multi-core (Phenom 4-core, 6-core?)

I have a Phenom 4-core and have not had any trouble gaming, but I also
use the computer for everything so non-game applications were a
consideration when I bought the system. I have not tried SC2 so I can't
say how bad that issue is on this chipset. I also have not researched
the issue, is that something that could be fixed through a later wine
update? If so I would go with the fastest individual core speed Phenom 4
or 6 core I could afford in the hopes of the games being playable now
and better later. If the problem is on the game side and they show no
interest in fixing it I might still do the same depending on what other
games and applications I wanted the computer to be good for. For the
single core chips we have been happy with both Athlon and Opterons, I
think you can bet a little better numbers with the Opterons so they
might be the better choice for just games.