[Wine] Re: Is winetricks sending reports to the developer?

DanKegel wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Feb 28 06:34:08 CST 2011

I don't watch the forums constantly, it's the last thing I check
after reading wine-patches/wine-devel/wine-bugs.

winetricks definitely does not send usage info unless the user opts in.
To see whether the user opted in, do
  cat ~/.cache/winetricks/track_usage
If that says "1", then the user opted in.

When winetricks' gui first runs, it displays an opt-in dialog.
You can see this by doing
  rm ~/.cache/winetricks/track_usage
Try that now and see what happens!

The user can always opt out by running
  winetricks --optout

I can imagine one scenario which could cause the reported problem;
perhaps the user pressed just the right key just as that dialog was coming up.
(Sounds like another wishlist item for zenity - make it display the dialog
for a few seconds before letting the user dismiss it.)

The usage data is there so I can know which verbs are most popular,
so I can make sure to not break them :-)

Reported usage (from opted in users only) for the top 16 verbs
during February was:
   4609 d3dx9
   3541 corefonts
   3014 vcrun2005
   2986 ie6
   2678 dotnet20
   2550 ie8
   2502 gdiplus
   2439 directx9
   2421 winxp
   2042 d3dx9_42
   2035 vcrun2008
   1981 ie7
   1981 d3dx10
   1969 vcrun6
   1864 gecko
   1840 d3dx9_36

Note that the competing wine frontend PlayOnLinux gathers usage
stats from all users, not just opted-in users, so winetricks is more
protective of privacy in this regard.  POL stats are at
http://www.aplu.fr/polistats/stats_2011.html#list_get_num
and the numbers there are a lot higher, probably partly because
they're for all POL users, but mine are only for winetricks users
who opted in (possibly because of an unfortunate keystroke or
mouse click during the opt-in dialog, as noted above).