[Wine] Wine crashes on WoW install

tparker tparker at etherstorm.net
Mon Jan 3 13:01:14 CST 2011

On 01/01/2011 03:54 PM, danyaeldemonic wrote:
> Well, after doing a full upgrade from Ubuntu 10.04 to 10.10 and reinstalling WINE 1.3.10 fresh, I'm at least getting error messages now.<snip>
> This application has encountered a critical error:
> ERROR #132 (0x85100084) Fatal Exception
> Program:	C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Wow.exe
> Exception:	0xC0000005 (ACCESS_VIOLATION) at 0073:69225C6A
> The instruction at "0x69225C6A" referenced memory at "0x0000000C".
> The memory could not be "read".

Does the game run for a while and then crash with this error? If so and
you have a computer with more than 4G ram running a 63 bit OS or running
a 32 bit PAE kernel, that crash will happen. It is an error in the WoW
program itself, Blizzard wrote it in a way that lets it keep using
memory until it runs out, but since it is a 32bit application it gets
lost when it gets past the 32bit memory limit. The only reliable fix is
to either install a 32bit OS or kernel limit your machine to 4G of ram.

Otherwise the problem may be your Intel video card. Some games work fine
with them, but the intel video drivers in linux  may not be up to the
requirements of the game. If you have an Nvidia card handy that you can
add to the machine and install the proprietary Nvidia driver, the result
may confirm or rule out that being the problem.