[Wine] Using Wine - Random machine switch-off?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 9 12:03:17 CST 2011

On 1/9/11 9:41 AM, Pavel Troller wrote:
>> carlbeech wrote:
>>> Is there anything that can be done so that when a game goes bang, it doesn't take the system with it? (let me know log files you need if there's anything that can be gleaned from them :-)   )
>>>
>> http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-d5f2dcceb129a76261c064fa0ca3cb2876b318e0
>>

> Hi!
>    This article is good in explaining that wine really cannot make your full
> system to crash/reboot/switch off. But it doesn't deal with particular symptoms
> and other details of the problem.
>    My bell is ringing because
>    - it is a notebook
>    - it is not crashing, but turning itself off.
>    These two pieces of information may indicate a simple reason: OVERHEATING.
I agree.  My Macs fans kick in when I'm using Wine.  Normally they are
quiet.
>    Many notebooks have problems with proper cooling under heavy load.
Again, the Dell XPS series usually has multiple fans.  Are they running
and you can feel a lot of heat from the laptop before it 'dies'?
>    Yes, wine running a game can put a very heavy load on your system.
>    Please try to verify that your ventilation holes are clear, that they are not
> obstructed by something, that the coolers are properly starting (it may be a
> bug in Linux ACPI code, which is not starting them properly) and that you are
> not burning your fingers when you touch the machine :-).
I agree.  You should not need to blow out your system, but it never hurts.
>    You may experiment with trying to play in the cold place, or improve cooling
> for example by an external cooling pad or similar means.
I had one of those.  It broke at the on/off switch and I had to splice
the wires.  The the case started to fracture.  I also have a Podium Pad,
but that is only for systems that take in air from the bottom.
Otherwise is it better to place the system on flat non-shiny surface.

There is a Linux application for monitoring your system temperatures,
try to find and use it to see if that is what is causing the problem.

James McKenzie