[Wine] Linux Suse, Wine and the new guy...

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Tue Jan 11 13:59:46 CST 2011

On Tue, 2011-01-11 at 12:56 -0600, Aethilion wrote:
> I read about linux using packagers doing all the stuff a normal dl
> link + exe install does. But how to do it exactly. My OS has YaST.
>  Is this the packager i need ?! And where to put or what ever i have
> to do with it :

Yes, YAST is the SUSE package manager. I strongly suggest that you do
both of the following:

1) Bookmark the OpenSUSE site, http://www.opensuse.org/en/ if you
haven't already done so. It has tutorials on SUSE-specific stuff,
including YAST, so read that tutorial.

2) Get hold of a book on Linux and try the stuff in it. Knowing the
basics of installing, managing and maintaining a Linux installation is
easy when you know how and fun if you like learning new stuff. Learning
how to use the command line is not only extremely useful, but is the
first step in making both system customisation and distro upgrades very
much less painful. Browse the books in Borders or your local equivalent
to see which writing style and knowledge level suits you. Good starting
places are "Linux for Dummys". I've not read it but the "... for Dummys"
books are generally well regarded as tutorials and "Linux in a
Nutshell", which is more quick reference than tutorial. If you're a
Windows power user or know other OSes then the latter may be more
suitable.

I think you need both book and website. Unless you find a SUSE oriented
book, the book will tend to cover material thats common to all Linux
distros while the web site will - surprise! - deal with SUSE-specific
details.

Martin