[Wine] Wine Installation

James E. Lang jim at lang.hm
Thu Jan 13 16:53:21 CST 2011

Contrary to most who post to this list, I am not running Windows based games on
my Linux OS.

I have wine 1.2.1 running on my *ubuntu 10.10 system out of directory /usr/bin.
I also had a newer version (probably 1.2.2) installed in another (unknown)
directory.

After reading
<http://www.wine-reviews.net/wine-reviews/tips-n-tricks/a-guide-to-wine-on-ubuntu-for-beginners.html>
I performed the following command:

sudo apt-get remove --purge wine

This appeared to uninstall wine however trying when I tried "wine --version" my
system found wine which reported version 1.2.1 still. I then performed these
commnds:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wine

This looked like it installed wine 1.2.2 but "wine --version" still reports
version 1.2.1 and running one of my Windows applications and running command
"ps ax | grep wine" shows wineserver running from /usr/bin.

What do I need to do to replace version 1.2.1 of wine with a newer, properly
installed, version and retain my ability to run my two most important Windows
applications -- Pegasus Mail and E-Sword? What I'd really like to try is the
latest 1.3.x version of wine.

--
Jim