[Wine] Re: Anyone able to install Sony Vegas HD Platinum in a linux os?

shipp wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Jan 20 01:02:57 CST 2011

Okay, so, installing vegas in wine for most of you might be obvious, but Im new to all this opensource stuff (thats what I said last year, and it still feels that way).  I figured out this much, through trial and error.

The minimum wine requirements to set up sony vegas are - dotnet20, corefonts, fontfix, and msxml3.

Setup.exes wont run off the vegas movie studio 10 install cd with msxml6.

If you have those things, the installer will install the rest of the necessary components (dotnet30, vcrun2005, vcrun2008, etc.

To install the Sound Forge Audio, you need some codecs that you can get by winetricks wmp10 (through winamp) and some dirextx9 components, not sure which ones yet but i want to not install all of directmusic because its nearly a gigabyte and directx9 is known to break wine or winetricks.

Okay, so heres the problem.  I installed all components, four in the setup folder, and the NewBlue Effects in the "Additional Software" folder.  Open sony vegas and it asks you to register.  You enter the serial number that came with software, choose register online, and its supposed to connect you to the server and register you.  But, it doesn't  it says for a while:

"attempting to register Vegas, now connecting to server, etc."

Then "An error occured during registration . . . an error occurred while communicating with the server.  This could be due to network congestion or server failure. Please try again later."

What do i need to get this to work?  I at first thought, oh I just need ie6, but that didn't work.  Yes I can connect to the internet using explorer, no problems there.  Does anyone know what could fix this so I can register it and see if it works?

thanks