[Wine] Starcraft II install fails, no text

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 25 09:45:15 CST 2011

vitamin wrote:
>Ask AMD? They don't have a public bug tracker. Only a way to "report a driver issue or provide a feedback":
>http://www.amd.com/us/LinuxCrewSurvey

That's poor business practice these days.  What did I expect?

>James Mckenzie wrote:
>> And what if the OP has a laptop (like I do)?
>
>Trade it in.

Explain that one to the family finance minister.  She'll blow a fuse and then clam up.  I do want a new MacIntosh or a Dell (Lenvono, say WHAT?)  The old laptop is a REAL IBM (assembled in Mexico) A22p with an ATI Rage 3D (AMD does not even support these so I'm 'stuck' with the Raedon Linux drivers) and it was built in 1998.  The Mac is the first generation MacBook Pro.  Maybe going to an i5 or i7 with an nVidia would be a 'good thing'.

>ATI drivers were never good for as long as they've been around (both Windows and Linux). And the way things are going it
>won't change any time soon. Why people continue to by those cards knowing well and good they won't by usable I have no
>clue.
Hey, at least they are better than Intel's, but that is not saying much.  I've had a series of ATI cards and some of them were Wonderful and some were garbage.  The current video system works, and there are more problems with Apple's X11 than with the video drivers.  However, some companies view Linux as 'nicheware' and don't provide ANY support.  I like the fact that the AMD at least views Linux as more than that.  Again, it's the old "get more users, and we'll make better drivers" and "Make better drivers and we'll get more users" cycle.

For now, I'm stuck with the old Mac...I don't want to pay Apple's retail price and the local Mac support store cannot get any.

James McKenzie