[Wine] SSE2 - Wine issue or not?

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Thu Jan 27 02:59:15 CST 2011

James Mckenzie <jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Do you have ANY networked printers that can be accessed by your
> system?  This will cause Wine to start VERY slowly ... this is
> a known problem with the CUPS printer access system ... there
> is not much that Wine can do about this.

Is there some reason why Wine needs to communicate with CUPS _at
all_ during startup?  I'd think it could wait until there is an
actual need to print something (which will be "never" for many
gamers).  Alternatively, do the "establish CUPS communication"
work in a separate task or thread rather than holding the entire
session hostage.