[Wine] Wine Conformance Test on Windows 9x, how to report?

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 22:38:09 CDT 2011

On 7/8/11 8:31 PM, nachanon wrote:
> DanKegel wrote:
>> The tests are just a means to an end... do you have a real app that used
>> to work, but doesn't anymore?
> Not exactly, but yes, I have dozens of Win9x and Win16 apps that are not likely to work with Wine,
> since most were from the same publisher (DK Multimedia), from the same age (pre-2000),
> have the same dependency (QuickTime 2.x, 16 and 32 bit),
> and I've tested few of them (on Wine 1.1.x - 1.3.x), none works.
>
> Only one I've got it posted on AppDB was My Amazing Human Body (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=12458) (DK, win32, depends on quicktime32)
> which got a near-garbage rating by definition, quicktime issue.
>
> Another one (not on AppDB yet), this one got a regression, "The Way Things Work 2.0" (DK, win16, depends on quicktime16)
> program itself crashed, regression on installer (it works on wine 0.9.x) and quicktime issue.
>
> and another few apps from that age (still not on AppDB too)
> - I Love Science (DK), fails on cd detection and quicktime.
> - Lion King Activity Center (Disney), fails on mci.
> - Math Quest with Aladdin (Disney), fails on palette setting.
>
> But since Wine Win9x support happened to cease faster than I expected,
> I will try harder on posting every apps to AppDB and filing bug reports for all failures as fast as possible,
> especially for apps mentioned above.

Windows 9x support has not ended, just recording of conformance test
results against the base platform.

You have to file bug reports and the dependent programs have to exist
(somewhere) where they can be downloaded and tested against.

As to the regression, testing is in the eye of the beholder.  If you
know which two versions the problem appeared in (and git is your friend
here as it can go WAY back in versions) and can run a regression test
and identify the 'bad' commits, then someone might be able to create a
proper fix that will allow those programs to function again in Wine.

However, if fixing Windows9x/ME BREAKS Windows NT or later
functionality, you may be at a loss for now.

This is spoken from MY understanding of Windows98/ME support and may be
totally incorrect.

James