[Wine] Re: Steam loading my profile and dying

Bob Wya wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Jul 9 13:00:36 CDT 2011

Just make sure you install it correctly:

Code:
winetricks steam

or get the dependencies manually first and install manually:

Code:
winetricks corefonts allfonts tahoma
cd ~/Downloads
wine msiexec -i /Steaminstaller.msi

Please also note that winetricks will setup the Steam client in it's own WINEPREFIX (~/.share/winprefixes/steam - I think from memory) - this will cause problems if you don't have that environment variable set properly and try to launch the Steam client manually from the commandline.

Some info on there is a bit out of date (I haven't had time to update it). With Wine 1.3.22(+) almost all of the client features work (including - I've been informed - in-client game purchases). I haven't tested the game overlay/chat features (but I gather this does work for some folks - dependent on their GPU and drivers I guess). I think the microphone input for Steam chat maybe a bit broken...

Bob