[Wine] Re: Wine 1.3.24 and Age of Conan: Anybody made it work?

ischou wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Jul 11 09:12:07 CDT 2011

I started a similar conversation about AoC and Wine except my system is Mac OS X 10.6.8 (now) here: http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=12711

I'm pretty sure the installer DOES NOT completely work.  It seems to download and still the front 7-8GB of data, but I'm almost certain that the final patching step at the very end of the installation process (and also all future incremental patches) fails with a "zlib is unable to decompress stream" error which I'm sure results in having a partially broken installation.  I haven't had the time to try to run the repair installation program using a Windows VM yet.  Because the process is long and slow, I need a large block of time to do it.

You also need dhcpcsvc.dll copied from a Windows installation into your WINEPREFIX/drive_c/windows/system32 directory.

I don't know if wine 1.3.24 fixes it or not, but you also at least need to install d3dx9_36.dll, which can be done via winetricks.

As of my last test, the patcher window is blank, so after you manage to get the game properly installed and patched, you will probably need to prevent the patcher from running at game start up by removing the HttpPatchFolder entry from the LocalConfig.xml file.  (Best make a backup of that file first.) This is the blank window you are seeing.

You should set the WINEDEBUG environment variable to -all to actually see what the installer/patcher is doing.  Post what errors you get on the console.  I'm curious to know if the problems are different in Linux to know whether the problem is with the XQuartz X11 server on Mac or there are limitations that Wine hasn't overcome yet.