[Wine] Wine registration email - system failure

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Wed Jul 20 12:04:56 CDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-07-20 at 07:01 -0700, James McKenzie wrote:

> In the meantime, both Dan and I are looking to see where spam is
> coming from and if needed blocking IPs.  If the IP address could be
> captured and relayed to us before deleting messages from the forum, we
> would appreciate it.

A clarification: the 'From:' address in messages originating from the
users forum always of the form:

	"handle" <wineforum-user at winehq.org>

where 'handle' is the handle used to post to the forum. Quite apart from
not containing a useful mail address, the handle is very frequently
forged in spam: for instance, I see significant amounts of spam that
allegedly was sent by yourself and, even where the handle wasn't forged,
a poster doesn't have to supply a valid e-mail address to sign up - at
least its been blank in every one of the few poster profiles I've looked
at.

That said, I can certainly produce lists of the apparent senders of spam
from the user list if the details are still in my mail logs, but for the
reasons given above, I don't think they'll be particularly useful.

I can easily supply you with a list of all the domain names that have
appeared in the body of spam I've received via the Wine users mailing
list. I can produce a list of URLs and PERL regexes that match spammy
URLs almost immediately, but if you want the list reduced to just those
URLs that arrived in the Wine maillist that will take a day so to do.

Let me know which URL list you'd prefer and if you'd like a sender list.

Martin